Monday 17 October 2011

Continuity Editing Task

After finishing planning our work, we then started to produce our film. We would have to redo shots and shoot everything from the best possible angle to make sure we had a selection of shots to choose from when it comes to editing. By redoing some scenes it meant we progressed each time in filming. Danni (coursework partner) and Lauren and Ashley were the people acting the film. Nicole and I were the people that filmed the task, however all three of us contributed ideas when filming. I enjoyed doing this task as it enabled me to learn about filming with a camera whilst holding it myself- it was tricky task however I feel enough practice will help me master filming. I have also learnt more about camera positions and the 180 degree rule. Not breaking the 180 degree rule was hard, as we always had to think about where we would shoot it from. This task has made me realise how difficult filming is going to be when we produce our thriller movie.

First Cut

Final piece
Changes we made
By reshooting and editing our film it made us alter our first video. For example we changed the beggining shot as well feel that it didn't match with the style. What's more our group haven't mastered the zooming technique yet, which descreased the quality of the footage. This is evident in another shot where Danni is standing the stairs. (0:14) This zooming is particulary bad which is why we redid this to make the effect better quality. After the beggining shot we also had to change the second cut (0:06) This is because we feel it didn't match up to our standards. We also had to reshot the part where Danni runs down the stairs (0:34)as it was shot badly, due to the camera being hand held. After the door scene we also had to change everything due to bad positions of the characters, one of the actors laughing and bad cuts.

Evaluation
Looking back at our work has made me reflect positively and negatively at my progress. For example, our editing could have been more accurate when it came to finishing off our final film. This is particularly shown when we cut out the audio at the beginning of the clip as it breaks the continuity. This makes the film disconnect and not flow, however this  has given us something to learn and evaluate on. Our group now realizes the importance when it comes to creating our thriller film and making sure we produce everything perfectly.

By producing our continuity task it has helped me progress my learning as now we have something to improve on. Overall I feel we worked well on producing this through content, filming and editing. One thing that I would add next time would be some music. This could have helped shape our characters by making the bully seem more powerful and scary.

Evaluation to another group's work
Here is the link to the other groups work in which I will be evaluating: I like the variety of shots used in this piece as it makes the video flow, therefore telling the story correctly. I also enjoyed the choice of music as it matches the style which fits into the clip's content. However, some shots used for the evil character contradict his role which presents him to be weak. This would be something I would do differently. For example, at 0:04 the long shot makes the character seem small which goes against his dangerous personality. Nevertheless, I enjoyed watching this clip and I would award it 9/10.

3 comments:

  1. where is the final piece?

    i need evaluation; and another group's evaluation

    lots missing here

    ReplyDelete
  2. final piece is uploaded now, evaluation is going to be blogged soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. personal evaluation, first video and evaluation of another group's work is blogged.

    ReplyDelete